Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Illustration Friday: Phenomenon

I was completely stumped this year for my annual Christmas card that I make. For the last 6 years I have been drawing a nostalgic Christmas card from my childhood to send to my closest relatives and friends and this year I was simply not in the Christmas mood. Every year I'm usually one of those people that hum-bugs normally scowl at since I have my decorations up almost immediately after Halloween. You know why I'm not in the mood this year? We have no snow. I.... Lori-lee Thomas, who lives on a frickin' island in the north Atlantic have no snow. What do we have? Balmy weather and fog.

So instead of forcing myself to try to be in a jolly mood, I asked myself, "Why?". Well this is why. I miss the snow. The wonderful magical time of year when you get the big fluffy flakes and ya run outside to catch em on your tongue! Where you get to watch them from your front window of your childhood home, feeling all cozy and warm inside and they gracefully fall outside your window. When you make the first snowman of the year, desperately trying to roll up the biggest ball possible! Just thinking about it makes me giddy! :-)

Those where the days. We were lucky enough not to have snow for Halloween when I grew up, but Christmas? Makes you seriously wonder how the world is being affected. When in my measly 27 years of life, I can notice a dramatic change in the temperature. Cause face it... I'm still a youngster myself.

So ANYHOO, here is my Christmas Card for 2010, "Let it Snow." I can't think of a more wonderful phenomenon than snow, and how now we once took it for granted. I miss it this year more than ever.

Enjoy!

Lori

9 comments:

  1. Love it!! as always, beautiful! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, hey, me too! that was my phenomenon, I love snow! (and your watercolour)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No snow in NFLD! Wish I could send a boat load of it from here to there as we have too much. Well, Christmas is still a week and a half away so maybe you'll get that much longed for white stuff soon enough. Your want of it makes a good story, though. And your personal card says it all. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely card Lori and yes isn't the weather strange? We'll probably get a major dump for New Years :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks everyone! I'm still hopeful to have snow before Christmas. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very lovely! The x-mast spirit!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. adorable expression. i miss snow, too!

    ReplyDelete