Friday, January 21, 2011

Illustration Friday: Dusty

This week I have been unusually nostalgic about my art career so far. I think its because I went back to my roots this week with a drawing that I did for a friend of mine, Marlon who is a DJ. I don't know what you started using as art supplies when you were younger, but I used colored pencils and ink, like ALL the time! Maybe cause where I grew up there were no art supplies around, so I used what I had for school.

Now some of you may know that -I- am a total nerd. Yup. I grew up playing Nintendo, watching Star Trek, and yes, reading comic books. Comic books were my first art lesson. I mean think about it, dudes running around in tights? What an awesome anatomy lesson! Ahhh yes, I wanted to be a penciler for Marvel Comics as a teenager. Quite a big dream I had, but things change like everything else. This image here is a dusty ol' drawing to show you. I drew this 10 or so years ago when I was just beginning college. This was my Amazon character in the PC game Diablo 2, which I played with my guy friends and brothers. It was pretty evident how much I used coloring pencils back then, and how I always get nostalgic when I use them now. Its like opening a scrapbook of my life. Either way, I'm still a nerdy girl, who STILL plays Nintendo, who STILL watches Star Trek, and who plans on playing Diablo 2 this weekend. Awesome. ;-)

Enjoy!

Lori

14 comments:

  1. I agree with the anatomy lessons! Comics are a great tool and believe it or not, so are Muscle Building magazines! Everything is exaggerated!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, indeed! Lucky Marlon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great! I love your style! And your post made me think back too - I used coloured pencils all the time.. I drew loads of Teenage Mutant Turtles, and Thundercats pictures.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nerd is the new cool! And how to fun to connect with why we started being artists in the first place--love the composition on the dj too

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys! :D

    And Poppy TMNT and Thundercats were AWESOME! Hahaha! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Lori! Thanks for dusting off this gem! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, terrific DJ drawing! Nice Amazon too; I think I dated her once. :/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I said is before and I will say it again.The reason you are such an amazing artist (I think think) is because you can work with so many medias. And not just work with them but you bring everything you touch to life. I love you work dusty and old or new and bright.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Are you the same "Lolli" that used to leave wierd comments for me and do awesome art on Elfwood? It's so great that you became an illustrator! Way to go!

    -Patrick Derksen

    ReplyDelete
  10. HAHAHA! Well, I'm not sure! I do/did have an Elfwood gallery, but I haven't been on in like a decade. So anythings possible!

    Thanks! lol

    ReplyDelete