Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Resolutions!

My resolution? To make myself more art. As long as I can remember I have always made art either for school, or commissions, or for family and friends. This year? I would like to create more artwork for myself, of things that I like! I know that isn't much of a resolution but you know what? It'll make me happy, and in the end that is something that should matter to not just my loved ones, but myself too.

So, heres to being a little indulgent once in a while. Here is the first art piece of 2011! Just a small watercolor painting of an owl... my new obsession, and I put it in a lil' frame I bought a few months ago. :-) I got to try out masking fluid on this one! What an awesome product that is! I can't wait to create a large scale watercolor with a tonne of tiny details in it. Exciting!

Enjoy!

Lori

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good resolution to have! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This turned out great. I'm going to have to go look up the masking fluid you mention.

    And what a great resolution. I have been meaning to print some things up of my own, frame it and see happy art on my walls. Thanks for the inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what's the name of the product you used Lori?
    LOVE the owlie :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's called Art Masking Fluid. The brand I have is Winsor and Newton, but I'm sure there are other brands as well. It's really cool! You just block of areas with a paint brush that you don't want covered in paint, and once your painted bits are dry you rub it off! Reminds me of latex almost. I highly suggest it! Especially if you are an itty bitty detail freak like I am. ;-D

    Heres a demonstration video for your curiosities: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeoqBbrFeFI

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you resolution, it sounds awesome and something I think is very important for everyone to do once in a while. Do you think it will be like a monthly thing? I really like how the masking turned out for you it has a wonderful effect on a already wonderful piece. I can only imagine how much easier it is to do your water colors now.
    Can't wait to see more of 2011 art work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lori,

    this is a wonderful resolution, and i'll have to agree - we need to decorate our worlds with more of our own artwork!

    Love your owl... he is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful watercolor! I love owls as well! Great job! :D Sweet....:D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful resolution and very cool owl! Love the way you used pattern!

    ReplyDelete